Eating healthy when you’re on the go is HARD. It’s so tempting to grab a cookie with your afternoon coffee or reach for a bag of chips to hold you over until dinner. The bad news is, the temptation to cave and eat something you might regret later is EVERYWHERE. The good news is, YOU can prevent this from happening! Having healthy snacks on hand (meaning with you and ready to go whenever hunger strikes) is key. It’s all about preparation here. When you know you’ll be out of the house for a while, throw one of these healthy alternatives in your bag to keep you satisfied and full from nutrient dense foods!
No time to prep this week? Check out some of our favorite plant-based snacks to keep in rotation:
- Protein Power Ball (@proteinpowerball) is packed with all the good stuff and tastes amazing! They offer ingredients and plant-based protein all rolled up into one bite sized ball. Each ball provides 3g of protein and is only 60-65 calories. They’re available in 6 delicious flavors, but my go-to is always the Dark Chocolate Peanut (Mocha Java Crunch is a close second)!
- Beanfields Bean Chips (@beanfieldsnacks) are boldly flavored and filled with protein and fiber. Made from beans, this plant-based snack comes in sweet and savory varieties to satisfy your every snack desire.
- Tofu on the go? YES! Go Umami Baked Tofu Bars are packed with 5 grams of plant-based protein. Available in three savory flavors, they are ready to eat on the run and contain no artificial flavors.
- Sometimes we all just want a good old fashioned chocolate chip cookie! With 10g of protein per serving, @bhufoods, has crafted a Vegan Protein Cookie that hits the spot! Try the Double Dark Chocolate, made with cashew butter, it's a healthy, guilt-free indulgence.
Here are some quick, simple snack recipes you can make at home to have on hand wherever your week brings you!
Protein Trail Mix
We love a good sweet & salty trail mix. Between the healthy fats from nuts and the added protein, this will keep you full AND satisfied!
- 1 cup peanuts
- ½ cup almonds
- ½ cup hazelnuts
- ½ cup walnuts
- 4 Protein Power Balls (we love the Dark Chocolate Peanut flavor for this) broken up into 5-6 tiny pieces
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips (optional!)
- Combine the above ingredients together in a mixing bowl
- Enjoy right away or store in a sealed container for up to a week!
For salty snack cravings, roasted chickpeas can give you the same crunchy satisfaction as potato chips, but they are loaded with protein:
- 2 15 oz cans chickpeas (drained)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¾ tsp paprika
- ¾ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ - ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- sea salt (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 425° F
- Allow drained chickpeas to air dry 10-15 minutes
- Place chickpeas on parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with ½ tsp sea salt
- Cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so, until golden brown
- Remove from oven and toss hot chickpeas in spice mixture
If you like your snacks on the sweet side, it doesn't get any better than this crispy, crunchy, protein rich quinoa bark. It’s a great snack on its own, or you can use it to add crunch to your favorite yogurt:
- ½ cup uncooked white quinoa
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 pinch sea salt (optional)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 325° F
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper
- Add quinoa, pecans, oats, chia seeds, coconut sugar, and salt (optional) to mixing bowl and stir to combine
- In small saucepan, warm coconut oil and maple syrup over medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally until totally combined
- Pour over dry ingredients. Stir to thoroughly combine and coat
- Spread in an even layer on parchment-lined baking sheet
- Bake for 15 minutes, rotating pan to ensure even browning. Bake 5-10 minutes more or until deep golden brown in color
- Let cool completely before breaking or cutting into bite-size pieces
- Store in sealed bag or container at room temperature for 1 week or in freezer for up to 1 month
With a little planning you will never have to settle for less than the best when you're on the run! So, grab some healthy snacks and get going!